Game Classy 53: “-24%”

by Joe on January 19, 2014

gc53

The only thing going up this podcast is Steve’s mood, as Games Workshop takes a plunge.  As you can tell our boys spend a good chunk of time discussing the financial mess GW got themselves into, and as neither of them are financial analysts, their opinions are just silly. They cover everything from the future of Fantasy to the disappearance of White Dwarf.  Also they discuss the  create your own figure Kickstarter, Hero Forge  AND they announce a new  contest for some sweet figures.

If you wanna send some stuff to be on “What’s in the Box?” contact Joe at Joe@planetarbitrary.com

Follow Joe and Steve on Twitter

Don’t Forget to like our Facebook page and subscribe to us on iTunes for exclusive content.

Comment on iTunes so Joe can pay the bills.

Eric January 21, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Battlestar was great for a couple seasons. After that is was unwatchable garbage and completely brain dead.

Yay! I couldn’t be happier that GW is taking a beating. I hope they continue their downward spiral. Never has a company had such contempt for their own fan base. I would love to deuce on their corpse. A hot, wet, beef slider and beer apocalypse shit right on their faces.

Steve: Do you think a gaming store could open and thrive without carrying cards at all? Miniatures, board games, and stuff. Would you still carry cards even if you only supported table-top war gaming events?

Joe and Steve: How many games do you think a store could carry and support with events and be successful? How many games show up at your local venues? Could a store carry multiple game systems without working against itself. Like X-Wing, Star Trek: Attack Wing, and Wings of Glory. Or Warmahordes, Infinity, and 40K. Etc.

Joe January 21, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I can’t comment for Steve, but there would be no point in having a game store without cards. The big dilemma in stores is retail “space” card games take up very little of this space unless you get crazy and start carrying shitloads of singles, and multiple multiple multiple games. so the space to ducats ratio is very high for card games. Unlike say a minis game.

what a game can support and be successful with is all dependent on the owner and staff. Gamers are a cowardly and superstitious lot. If you tell them what is hot, play and talk with them about the game, and promote/support the game in store, You can literally have a half dozen game systems going at one time. The key is rotation. The big games are always going to be popular if you support them (magic, wh40k, warmahordes) and smaller games can run about a 6-12 month life cycle depending on the crowd size. Steve and I have talked about this before. The MAIN REASON games don’t become popular in a store is that the staff are not promoting them.

Say what you want about GW, back in the day they trained the fuck out of their staff. In fact most gaming companies/game stores are now owned/run by ex-gw staffers. The reason they are starting to beat GW? The staffers are treating the customers and product the way GW used to do their own stuff.

Steve January 22, 2014 at 11:11 am

Absolutely not. A game store 100% requires CCG support.
Opening a store and not supporting card games is pretty much business suicide. Although I’m sure some tiny % of stores go without and make it. That is not a safe bet.

I think a store can carry as many games as they can dedicate time to support. Most miniature stores carry Warmahordes/40k at least. Some add Infinity and/or Malifaux. Minis games don’t really require weekly event support but if one can maintain players for a weekly event that is still a solid option. A better case would be to offer specific “open play” days for each minis game and then run monthly or twice a month tournaments for said system.

Eric January 21, 2014 at 12:54 pm

P.S. I bought Warhammer: Disc Wars! See you at GenCon 2014 for a game, Joe. LOL.

Eric January 21, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I hate blowin you guys up but I don’t facebook.

Dreadfleet looks gorgeous but I knew I would never get to play it. Did either of you try it? What is wrong with the rules?

What about Wings of Glory or Axis and Allies? I bought the Wings of Glory stater. I haven’t played yet but I like that it doesn’t use dice.

Steve January 22, 2014 at 11:12 am

Dreadfleet is miserable. Everything is wrong with the rules. Sweet fuckin ships tho.

Never played Wings, but I hear it is somewhat similar to X-Wing.

Which Axis and Allies? Minis? Board? Planes?

Cliff January 24, 2014 at 1:19 pm

RE: “All those [Euro] games are the same.” – Steve.

No they’re not, and you’re proving that you’re an ignorant fuckin’ dickbag when you saying so. It’s past time we all realize that Steve’s only function on this earth is just to steal our air and be a disagreeable twat.

Cliff January 24, 2014 at 1:21 pm

“…you’re an ignorant fuckin’ dickbag when you say so.”

or

“…you’re an ignorant fuckin’ dickbag by saying so.”

derp.

Eric January 25, 2014 at 8:31 pm

That’s funny and not completely incorrect but I like Steve anyway. 🙂

Cliff January 27, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Despite my vehemence, I, too, like Steve. He’s like that genius d-bag character you see on a TV show (like House or Sheldon on BBT) you kinda sorta admire and tolerate at the same time.

Steve January 28, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Euro games are all exactly the same.
Because they are ALL shit.

Even if one has peanuts or is slightly greener or a darker shade of brown. They are still all poop in the end.

Eric January 28, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Steve: Have you played Hearthstone? I love it. I used to play World of Warcraft and the character mechanic is very cool and thematic.

Steve January 28, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I played the WoW TCG which is the same game as Hearthstone. Soooo yes. Yes I have.