Game Classy 46: We Forgot About Mars Attacks

by Joe on October 13, 2013

gc46Joe and Steve talked a lot about Bones II, Golem Arcana, Dark Elves, Bolt Action and Video game sportsball, but they totally forgot to talk about Mars Attacks.

Comment on iTunes so Joe can pay the bills.

Orlando the Technicoloured October 13, 2013 at 5:40 pm

4 seconds of fun,

but I think you forgot the podcast as well as Mars Attacks

Daniel October 13, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Crap, I was looking forward to this. Hopefully it’s just a minor glitch and the cast will be up soon.

Orlando the Technicoloured October 14, 2013 at 4:10 am

It’s fixed now, Hooorah

Joe October 14, 2013 at 9:23 am

I blame podbean, and the government shutdown

Erik October 14, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I enjoyed the show, as always. I think your impressions of Malifaux are a bit outdated though. I don’t really care whether you like the game or not, but most of your complaints are out of touch and hurt your credibility. To address a few of the main ones, in the past you’ve complained that the overall aesthetic of the game is uneven, but the second edition has gone a long way toward making this feel like a cohesive world: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27500765@N06/sets/72157634677575879/

It’s dark and cartoony, but I disagree that it looks like something Tim Burton had a hand in. I think there are 9 or 10 characters with top hats out of hundreds. Most minis games are somewhat ridiculous (e.g. spindly legs on ‘jacks in WM, 40k centurions, or shoulderpads in either of these games) but at least Malifaux has a sense of humor about itself.

It’s also incorrect that you need to own entire factions to be competitive. Tournaments often allow only one master, so 10-20 models are plenty. Even tournaments that allow you to pick an entirely different crew for each scenario are regularly won by players that only bring 2 crews (maybe 20-25 models).

Anyway, keep hating Malifaux if that makes you happy but I’m loving the new edition.

Joe October 14, 2013 at 6:39 pm

credibility?

Erik October 14, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Ha ha ha! Yeah, fair enough.

Do you consider your podcast a musical? You guys are amazingly good at remembering random lyrics. Good show; looking forward to the next one.

Joe October 15, 2013 at 8:17 am

We should, but we don’t feel like paying royalties.

Eric October 15, 2013 at 7:21 am

Golem Arcana made their goal.

Joe October 15, 2013 at 8:15 am

by a fleas fart, but golem arcana is an example of how not to setup your kickstarter. Mantic and CMON are the basis by which all mini companies should do it.

Eric October 15, 2013 at 8:27 am

Yeah it’s just surprising to hear you guys say something so completely wrong. I listen to your show because you two have deep gaming knowledge, mostly.

As far as Malifaux is concerned, I like the idea that it uses cards instead of dice, I appreciate that it is different, but I agree that the figures look terrible. I have not tried it though.

My twin brother and a friend of mine watched all of Breaking Bad and they both compare it’s quality to Game of Thrones. Bryan Cranston is supposedly amazing. But then you guys liked The Hobbit so there is no counting for taste. That movie is beyond garbage. Rabbit sled bird poop? Really? REALLY? 😉

I want to play Warhammer Disc Wars. I like the Warhammer world but no way am I going to buy/paint an army.

Joe October 15, 2013 at 8:34 am

Miracles do happen, and don’t play disc wars… it’s bad for the economy

Eric October 15, 2013 at 8:41 am

Send me a fully painted Empire army and make Workshop players not trolls and I will abstain from buy Disc Wars. I did buy Warhammer: Invasion core set but have yet to play it. Do you or Steve have an opinion on that game?

Btw, where can I find pics of your painted figures?

Cliff October 16, 2013 at 12:08 pm

“That’s actually advisable for almost all purchases online…” – Steve with regard to using rechargable/one shot/gift credit cards.

I understand reluctance to use a CC outside of the U.S. especially when buying pirated stuff. After all, if a company is sketchy enough to steal IP, your CC is small potatoes.

But what are you basing your statement on? Do you have evidence that secure sockets layer doesn’t work? Or are you just throwing out your usual line of BS in order to appear (and only appear) smarter?

BTW we understand you’re not GW fans. That horse is really freakin’ dead. Stop beating it. It stopped being funny around ep #23.

And I challenge the statement Steve makes about liking some stuff. He doesn’t. The things he claims to like are just things he doesn’t hate yet.

Joe October 16, 2013 at 3:32 pm

To be fair Cliff, Steve isn’t the fan of GW. I am not a booster (especially lately), but I like the ip and fantasy (pre 8th). I also love 75% of the models. All the new stuff for 8th except the chaos/daemon stuff is super cool. I’ve never really liked 40k after 3rd. Also LOTR is an amazing ruleset with terrible armies/statlines.

I also don’t recommend using your own cc to by bootleg stuff from china. I think you said it succinctly enough “if a company is sketchy enough to steal IP, your CC is small potatoes.” I also think the casting is pretty bad 50% of the time.

Joe October 15, 2013 at 9:22 am

Warhammer invasion is just a LCG. I’m not a big fan, Steve likes them more, although I don’t think He’s ever played Invasion.

As for the figs, I have some pics up at the facebook page.