Play On! Podcast Episode 3: R.I.P. Playstation

by Pat B on September 27, 2012

The one where we talk about the Mass Effect Trilogy bundle, Sony’s future including their new super-duper slim PS3, Dark Souls, Borderlands 2, Black Ops 2, Gambitious.com, Game Neo Geo Pocket Color, and more. Play on, players!

Steve September 28, 2012 at 10:56 am

“Hardcore” is a retarded moniker.
You’re just really bad at Dark Souls.

Anthony September 28, 2012 at 11:05 am

You’re probably right, but my personal opinion remains. It’s not a bad game, it just feels unnessesarily frustrating. Too many arrogant gamers think difficulty is what defines your ability, which is bullshit.

Steve September 28, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I think being good is what defines your ability, and no one is good at all games. Difficult or otherwise. You can be miserable at FPS games, but be a tournament crushing LoL player. Doesn’t make you bad at games. Just bad at FPS games. Dark Souls is a game that has completely unforgiving mechanics. If you can learn them, and adapt you can beat the game at level 1 with no exploits whatsoever. The difference between it and other 3d action games, is rather than taking a lot of damage, you die. Also, it holds your hand in no way whatsoever. So, if you say.. go left and fight the skeletons, they are absolutely insane for a level 1 new player. Most people are so used to hand holding gameplay, rather than going. Hmm, maybe this isn’t the right way to go, they just keep trying and failing. They then call the game “cheap” and quit. Rather than going right, and finding oh hey, these guys are easier to battle. It’s very draconian game design.
The game just kicks you in the face until you learn to dodge. I built… at least 4 characters before I got one that actually fit my playstyle.

Anthony September 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm

All valid points, and ultimately it comes down to what the player wants to experience. If you want a game that has a super steep learning curve to say that you overcame the challenges and frustrations, then Dark Souls is that type of game.

I think that game design has evolved for the better over the years from getting away from the games with no direction or explanation, like most Nintendo and retro systems where you remember them being very challenging, but that was a byproduct of how game design was back then. You can call most modern games hand-holding, which they are in contrast to Dark Souls, which takes a very retro approach to design in the sense that it’s limited story and very trial and error-based, which is a system that most were happy to get away from over the years.

Steve September 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I think it’s good to have the option now. For someone who wants the old-school this game will knock your teeth in just for the lulz you have Dark Souls. A game design I wish I would see with a bit more frequency. For the average person who wants a lemme kill some time game you have Skyrim. Which, is quite possibly the easiest fucking game in the whole world. Fun, but so easy it’s boring. Dark Souls does actually have kind of a cool story, but you need to explore all the nooks & crannies AND complete the game to find it.

Steve September 28, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Also, Bayou Billy. What. The. Shit. That’s my #1 hardest game I’ve never beat.