Game Classy 14: “Hobby Night”

by Joe on July 23, 2012

A lot to talk about this week, but first be one of the first 100 people to like our Facebook page and you will automatically be in the running to win the two player Warmachine starter set.  In this episode our hosts discuss the finer points about gaming classy, why Steve is quitting Warhammer Fantasy ( for the 3rd time), and about some awesome kickstarters to blow some ducats on.

Jake M July 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Great show guys!

Curious to see who is on the list of “3-4 Chicago area pro-painters”…I have a feeling I would lean towards a higher number. I guess that leads back to the whole discussion of what is pro-painted, but my thoughts are that there are some Chicago area players/painters that you may not know about.

Joe July 23, 2012 at 6:52 pm

It’s 3-4 pro army painters there’s a lot of pro painters, but only a few who do full armies.

Sean (SPS) July 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm

You could say decently-good painted. Pro would be Non metal metalics.
Screw Ebay….

A crappy paintjob can decrease the price extremely…

Zenassassin July 23, 2012 at 11:54 pm

NMM is a lame gimmick that is already, thankfully, becoming old and quaint among the better painters (i.e. European). It’s also super easy, not “pro”, let alone a defining trait for “pros”. It’s entry-level for actual artists but somehow super impressive to miniature gamers (never to experienced non-gaming modellers). It’s the Seattle grunge or 80’s hairband of painting. NMM is to wargamers as a car phone is to Ghana…super impressive but only because they are used to worse. It blows.

Joe July 24, 2012 at 7:52 am

I completely agree with you guys on painting techniques, because that’s what they are techniques. A hammer is just a tool you use to build something, but its not the only tool in your toolbox. You can’t build a house with just a hammer. The mid-00’s was a time when nmm, lighting effects, and water effects were the only things you could do to win painting competitions. Yes they still exist and a lot of painters still use them, but thankfully there has been a swing away from “gimmick” painting to more serious good paint jobs.

underthemountainblog.com July 24, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Joe and Steve, thanks for the kind words about Under the Mountain. It helps to make all my efforts worthwhile.

I recently started building a miniatures wiki, which will contain all the Rackham stuff + much, much more. The best part will be the companies entries. There are hundreds of miniatures companies listed in my links on the left panel of the main page, but a wiki is a better way to go about this. Who makes 2mm scifi? Where can I get 1/72 WWII? When complete, this wiki will give you the answers. You can see some samples here:

I’ll open this up to editors once the main page and a few other things are finished.

@Steve: Having learned of your love for AD&D, I’d love to hear thoughts on Hackmaster. I’ve never played, but recently picked up the basic rules and Hacklopedia out of interest.

Rick? Richard? Mike? Nope. Daniel. 😉

Love the show. Keep them coming!!!

Steve July 29, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Daniel, I voiced my opinion about Hackmaster on our Games Day specialcast. Pretty sure I called you David though. Sorry bro!

underthemountainblog.com July 29, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Awesome. Can’t wait to hear it. Thanks, Steve. (And no problem about the name.)

Cheers!