Game of Thrones S2E6: “The Old Gods and the New”- Joe’s Rating~”A”
Winterfell has fallen, it seems Theon’s gamble of taking Torrhen’s Square has paid off. Bran’s dream from last week of the ocean swelling over Winterfell has come true as the Iron Men take Winterfell in a chancy gambit. However even as Theon has taken such a large prize, the amount of respect he receives is no different than before. Poor Theon. Even in the moment of his greatest victory, he is near tears at the disrespect he receives. He even kills Ser Rodrik, but it doesn’t solve his problem.
North of the Wall, Jon Snow’s sojourn with Qhoren Half-Hand to snuff out the fire that would warn Mance Rayder goes better than expected. They manage to capture a wildling girl by the name of Ygritte. Jon tries to execute her so she won’t warn Mance about them, but she manages to escape to some sexy time. Fully clothed tied up sexytime, but sexytime nonetheless.
A cat and mouse game ensues at Harrenhal as the first person to be able to point out Arya shows up in the form of Littlefinger. It’s uncertain whether or not he recognizes her, but we do learn that the Tyrell’s are now going to align with the Lannisters after Renly’s untimely death by vagina monster. Arya also uses her second owed death from Jaqen to kill an illiterate Lannister who almost got her caught.
Back at King’s Landing, Myrcella is finally being shipped off to Dorne, and Cersei gives Tyrion a prophetic warning about how she is going to take away someone she loves. On the way back to the Red Keep, the peasants start to revolt from food shortages and Joffrey’s unpopularity. Joffrey gets hit in the face with poo, and orders all of them to be executed. With the insanity, Sansa gets lost and nearly raped before The Hound disambowls her would-be rapist. However this isn’t before Tyrion finally has enough and lays into Joffrey. SLAP!!!
It seems not all is sexy time with Osha and Theon back at Winterfell. After Osha puts Theon in a deep sleep from what I can assume is some sweet, sweet loving, she manages to get Bran, Rickon, and Hodor out of the castle.
In Qarth Daenerys gets a bit of a bitch slap herself. Daenerys is on a mission of self discovery. After last week, where she had to turn down Xaro’s offer of marriage because of what she would give up, this week we find out that her dreams are not enough. Daeneys is learning that in the world of Qarth, names mean nothing, and it’s what you do that decides your destiny. However, her journey of self discovery will be put on hold as she has to figure out who stole her dragons.
- After last weeks mess of an episode storyline wise, this week seemed much better plotted, spending enough time with each story to make them feel like I was getting a story rather than quick snippets.
- Rodrik either has a thick neck, or Theon’s got a weak swing.
- Hey it’s the chick from Downton Abbey!
- I would normally say that I hate blatant foreshadowing, but all the little snippets worked this episode for me. Cersei’s warning to Tyrion, Cat’s warning to Robb, Bolton’s bastard etc…
- Oh, Jamie has dyslexia, that explains why he slept with his sister!
- I’m not a fan of this Robb storyline, does it feel out of place to anyone else?
- I just saw Nymphadora Tonks naked, how does that make you feel?
From the Book:
- In the book, the whole Tywin/Arya storyline never occured, but I have to say this is the best change I have seen so far.
Previously on Game of Thrones