Game On! – Nintendo’s new console, What’s not to like?

by Pat B on April 25, 2011

A supposed leaked photo of the new Nintendo console

Hello Everyone!
Well, by now I’m sure most of you have already heard about Nintendo’s big announcement. At Nintendo’s investors meeting the other day they officially announced their new gaming console. This console is to go on sale in 2012 but a playable prototype will be unveiled at E3 this June. This is extremely exciting news for the gaming community since this will be the first system belonging to the next generation of consoles to be released and we even get a peek of it at this years E3.

Ever since I found out about this I’ve been scouring gaming websites for any new information about possible hardware specifications, pictures, and names for this new system. Of course, every time I found an article on the Wii’s replacement I scrolled down to the bottom to take a quick look at the comments to see what other gamers are saying about this new Nintendo console. Based on what I’ve read so far, I’m extremely disappointed. I’ve been reading alot of “I’m not ready for a new system yet.” and alot of “I’m gonna wait this one out, I don’t want to get burned again like I did with the Wii.” and finally “Geez Nintendo, just take all my money why don’t ya?!”

Ok, seriously, what the fuck are you people talking about? Lets respond to these one at a time. We will begin with the “I’m not ready” crowd first. First, the stupidity of this statement is so far beyond stupid that it could be a tv show aired between Tyler Perry’s House of Payne and Meet the Browns. In case you haven’t been gaming with the rest of us for the past 20 plus years let me be the first to tell you that new systems come out alllllll the time, it’s a part of gaming. Granted, the lifecycles of todays consoles are much longer than their predecessors, they will ultimately be replaced by something new.

As technology advances, game manufacturers take advantage of it and make newer and better game systems to make better games, Sega 32X is the exception to this, for some reason a lot of those games looked worse than regular Genesis games. Also, game manufacturers are always trying to stay one step ahead of their competition by releasing systems with the latest and greatest hardware under the hood. If your not ready to move along with this progression of game consoles then just stick with whatever game console you bought first and be happy with it. The rest of us will be playing the next-gen consoles and enjoying being a part of the evolution of video games.

As for the “I got burned by the Wii so I’m gonna wait to buy this new system” I think you missed the point of what the Wii is. The Wii was meant to get people that don’t normally play video games to fucking play video games. It took fun and gimmicky motion controls and used them to entice non-gamers into the video game world and it worked. If you bought the Wii thinking it was going to be the next hardcore gaming console you could play Call of Duty on then your head is so far up your ass you’re choking on it. “But Pat, What about all the horrible 3rd party games for the Wii and the renewed commitment Nintendo made to 3rd party developers announced at last years E3?” You got me there. With this new system being announced I have no idea what Nintendo’s plans are for the Wii or any of it’s future releases.

Sure, there are a lot of crap games out there for the Wii and that’s disappointing since obviously the Wii has great potential with such a large install base. But I knew what the Wii was going to be when I saw the first leaked pictures of the controller wand. I knew that it wasn’t going to be for the hardcore gamer just by seeing the TV controller design of the wand and I will admit, that disappointed me. But it got my mind ready to accept the fact that Nintendo was going to depart from the traditional console and try something different and I got one anyways. I never expected a whole lot out of it in the first place and having that mentality going in really helped me be truly surprised by just how fun the Wii is to play in a casual way. Since the Wii was such a big departure from traditional console gaming I knew some games were going to suck as developers tried to figure the damn thing out.

Whenever people ripped the system for not having titles for the hardcore gamer it frustrated me because it’s not a system for the hardcore gamer. Titles like Conduit, No More Heroes, and even Metroid were never intriguing to me because I always felt that they were simply trying to pander to the hardcore crowd and making the Wii do something it’s not really meant to do. Sure, those aren’t bad games but this would be like me bitching about how there are no Call of Duty games for my 3 year old nephews leapster system. It was the introduction of motion controls to gaming community and clearly the gaming community as a whole liked what they saw (Kinect, Playstation Move). “I got burned by the Wii!” STFU!

Finally, lets respond to the “God Nintendo! Just take all my money!” No one is forcing you to buy the system so relax. Save up a little, buy one used, trade in an older system for a discount on the new system, you don’t need to take out a loan to get the latest and greatest from Nintendo. Clearly, if you’re following the news about video games then you more than likely have purchased a video game system before so you know that it can be costly to get the latest and greatest system. I understand times are tough and not all of us have the extra $300 bucks to plop down on a game console but Nintendo is a business. Their in the business of making and selling video games. Don’t bitch about a business doing what a business is supposed to do, provide a service or sell products for a profit.

Sure, I would love it if game manufacturers made their systems more affordable but they’re pricey little pieces of electronics, it’s always been that way so I don’t suffer from sticker shock anymore. Anyone that has been actively keeping up with game consoles and buying the newest system when it comes out already knows that when a new console is released it’s probably going to be expensive, it’s a given. Now I know some of you might be saying “This guy sounds like a Nintendo fanboy!” I assure you that’s not the case. While Nintendo will always have a special place in my heart it shares that space with the 20 other systems I have in my collection.

I love game systems and I’m always excited to see what the next one will be regardless of what the current state of video games or the economy is. Did Nintendo pull the plug on the Wii too soon? Is Nintendo looking more like Sega with this announcement? Are gamers going to get behind a new console even if it is next gen and superior to PS3 and 360? Only time will tell but in the mean time lets just have some fun playing some new video games.

Adriana Garcia April 26, 2011 at 1:49 am

Great Article, Lol. Thanks for sharing this website with me through Chatroullete (:

Joe April 26, 2011 at 7:34 am

This system is finally going to kill Nintendo. 300$ for more Mario clones, and furthur expansions of zelda, metroid, and donkey kong? c’mon. Wii has been out for 5 years now and they haven’t created a viable franchise yet for a supposed next gen system besides exercise games for women.

http://www./ November 14, 2016 at 2:13 am

Finding this post. It’s just a big piece of luck for me.

http://www./ February 6, 2017 at 7:00 am

Thank you for your question.The price of this furnished apartment on the Upper West Side is $2,300 per month and still available (prices and conditions may change).

auto isurance April 18, 2017 at 10:51 am

Muy buena entrada y videoblog, con tanto caminar de segur tus zapatillas no te durarán mucho más XDEspero sigas disfrutando de tu estancia en ese gran país que espero visitar en un momento no muy lejano ^^Ja ne!!

Pat B April 26, 2011 at 9:25 am

Joe, I couldn’t disagree with you more. Ok, of course there will be a ton of Zelda, Mario, and Metroid games but finally bigger franchises can be on a Nintendo system powerful enough to do them justice. Arkham asylum, grand theft auto, battlefield, or Portal could all be franchises with new releases on this new system and based on the rumored hardware specs, they will probably look amazing, probably far better looking than the graphics on the PS3 or 360. You can hate on the Wii all you want but I dont consider the Wii a true next gen system mainly because of its underpowered hardware. It wasn’t beefed up to be a true hard core gaming system like the 360 and PS3 were. I believe it was always meant to be a casual gaming system with just enough processing power to produce a couple good looking Mario games and everything else was just for fun. People might say “What about Conduit or Metroid? Those are action packed games for the hardcore crowd.” True, but neither of those games even comes close to what Halo or Resistance deliver. I dont think this system is going to kill Nintendo. If it delivers on graphics and games I think it will launch Nintendo back to the top of the video gaming world….until PS4 and NextBox come out.

Joe April 26, 2011 at 10:28 am

“Arkham asylum, grand theft auto, battlefield, or Portal could all be franchises with new releases on this new system and based on the rumored hardware specs, they will probably look amazing, probably far better looking than the graphics on the PS3 or 360.” but the problem is that these games already exist on systems and the people who have those systems already have those games. people who own the wii aren’t sitting on their laurels waiting for the new system, they are out buying ps3s and xbox 360s so they can play them.

“If it delivers on graphics and games I think it will launch Nintendo back to the top of the video gaming world….until PS4 and NextBox come out.” just like how dreamcast hung around LONG after it bridged the gap between the n64 and ps2?

Someone needs to put a bullet in the head of the lumbering behemoth known as Nintendo and put it out of its stale misery.

http://www./ October 23, 2016 at 3:42 am

This should be ILLEGAL to preinstall operating systems WITHOUT shipping the reinstallation supports .In France, the L. 122-1 article of trading code makes illegal the obligation of purchasing software when an object buying is asked.

Pat B April 26, 2011 at 12:58 pm

First, I was talking about the future installments of those games. Sure, people already have a 360 or PS3 to play the current games in those franchises but if I could play the next game in those series on a machine with far superior graphics and sound to my existing last gen console, I’m upgrading. It’s a no brainer.
Second, low blow on the dreamcast comment. Sega’s timing with that system was bad and it was almost set up to fail. I think Nintendo may have gotten the timing right since Sony and Microsoft seem very much dedicated to their existing consoles. If Nintendo beats them both to market with the first next gen console and it really delivers on games and graphics then I think Sony and Microsoft are in trouble. There has been so much talk about extending the lifecycles of the PS3 and 360 through software and firmware updates via the internet that I think its kind of stagnated new console development and it’s starting to rub game developers the wrong way. The last game developers conference is proof of that. Developers expressed frustration with consoles because console hardware has been pushed almost to the ultimate limit of their performance. Developers have expressed their preference to develop for the PC other than console platforms since more updated and powerful hardware is available for computers allowing developers to produce better looking games. It’s looking like Nintendo heard the voices of the developers and is going to give them a console with the processing power to easily handle more resource hogging games like Crysis. Instead of a Crysis game that is scaled down for the older console hardware, developers could do a full release of that game with Nintendo’s new high powered console. Instead of PC games always being on the cutting edge of gaming, a console could be right there with them. I think that’s pretty exciting. Of course, this is 100 percent dependent on whether or not Nintendo swings for the fences with the hardware and makes the thing a beast, which rumor and speculation seem to be hinting at. The gaming community won’t let Nintendo get away with another underpowered gimmick console and I think Nintendo might realize that. If they want to be taken seriously in the console world they have to go all out and that’s what I hope they do. Why the hatred for Nintendo Joe?

Joe April 26, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Nintendo isn’t about creating inventive content anymore, it’s about relying on their cash cow franchises and gimmicks. Nintendo hasn’t created a state of the art boundary pushing system since snes. They didn’t even put out a cd based system until 01′. And why would they? Wii is one the 3rd best (non handheld) selling console of all time. There is no reason other than exploiting the nintendo zombies. They are also putting out this new system because game developers aren’t making the games for such shitty specs anymore. They’ve exhausted their franchises for the wii, and now they want to create a new system that they can report all the games too. It’s like getting excited over Malibu Stacy’s new hat 6 years after the fact.

Pat B April 26, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Joe,
“Nintendo hasn’t created a state of the art boundary pushing system since snes.”
just wait until 2012.
“They are also putting out this new system because game developers aren’t making the games for such shitty specs anymore.”
Did you read my reply before this?
“They’ve exhausted their franchises for the wii, and now they want to create a new system that they can report all the games too.”

Pat B April 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm

You seem to think that the ONLY games that will be released for the new system is Mario, Metroid, and Zelda. It’s looking like Nintendo is giving developers what they want, a high powered console that handle the graphically intense games of today, If you build it, they will come.

Pat B April 26, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I don’t get why the gaming community just can’t be excited about video games taking their first step into the next generation of consoles, it’s been going on for years. All of a sudden gamers have these ridiculous terms and reasons that a game manufacturer must satisfy in order to release a new system. Get over yourself gamers! We’ve finally got a new system on the way! Is this going to happen with Microsoft and Sony when they release their next systems? Are gamers going to say “Gee, I don’t know if I’m ready for a new system yet” or “God, the PS4 is super expensive, WTF.” No one really seemed to care when the 360 and PS3 came out. The first Xbox and PS2 were doing just fine. I think this new console is being scrutinized because it’s the first next gen system coming out. Nintendo may very well change the gaming landscape with this system and that’s huge. We are so used to the 360 and the PS3 dominating video games that the second someone comes along and says their gonna make something newer and better everyone freaks out.

Nic April 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Pat Beil wins by TKO in the third round

Joe April 26, 2011 at 5:17 pm

“just wait until 2012”
6 years after they needed to compete

“Did you read my reply before this?”

“Microsoft – Halo, Sega -Sonic, Sony – God of War, Turbo Grafx – Bonk, Neo Geo – Metal Slug
This isn’t something that JUST Nintendo is guilty of. It’s like when Sega CD came out, Genesis was doing fine but here comes the genesis raping CD add-on and guess what? one of its launch title is Sonic the Hedgehog, surprise surprise, Guess what? IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME!”

look at this list pat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_exclusives_%28seventh_generation%29
oiut of all ofthe exclusive games for nintendo approximatly HALF were made by nintendo, ie franchise games.

Pat B April 26, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Who is this? is this Joe? This can’t be the Joe that I built a shed with. Cmon, you cant be this far off base on this, here we go again
“6 years after they needed to compete”
1. Wii – 86.01 million units sold
2. Xbox 360 – 50 million units sold
3. PlayStation 3 – 50 million units sold
Looks like Nintendo is doing just fine against it’s competition and did this with a “casual gaming” system. Now they are going to compete in the hardcore gaming arena with an actual high powered next gen console.

“Yes, and the D.C. were mad at sony and Microsoft, not nintendo, because no one is seriously developing for nintendo”
Cmon Joe! It’s obvious developers were talking about Microsoft and Sony because those are the true high end consoles of today. The Wii cant be pushed any further, probably one of the reasons Nintendo is releasing a new system. But Nintendo knows that developers are open to a new high powered console so why not release one and get ahead of your competition? Just how far ahead will this new system put Nintendo? I have no idea but it should be enough to put them at the top at least for a little while.

“out of all ofthe exclusive games for nintendo approximatly HALF were made by nintendo, ie franchise games. The Sega CD though was groundbreaking for its era. and yes it did have sonic, and look who owns sonic now and keeps pumping out sonic games.”

YES, there is going to be Mario and Zelda games on Nintendo’s new console but there will be OTHER games as well, OTHER GAMES. Big game developers can now develop high end games that can take advantage of the all the shiny new hardware that’s supposedly going to be in the new system. You’re hating on the new Nintendo system because there are going to be new Mario and Zelda titles on it? Of course those games are going to be on it but I guarantee any new systems from Microsoft and Sony will feature a Halo title and a God of War title so what about that? Are you going to hate any new game console because it will more than likely feature some console exclusive games? What does that matter? Why are you so opposed to next gen consoles? All your arguments can be applied to Sony and Microsoft just the same, why are you singling out Nintendo?

Doug April 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm

will it play vinyl?

Joe April 26, 2011 at 7:07 pm

will it wear ugly shoes?

Doug April 26, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Hey, my shoes aren’t ugly. Don’t get pissy with me. I didn’t create the wii.

Pat April 26, 2011 at 7:27 pm

No vinyl but it’s rumored that its backwards compatible with 8-tracks. Not sure about the shoes. I’d say if it did wear shoes it would wear jordans

Joe April 26, 2011 at 7:32 pm

the 6 years was in terms of the hardware, I stated earlier they were the 3rd best selling system. During that six years wii has been selling due to nintendo’s increased market share with “non-gamers” or the party crowd. It is a casual gaming system. The real reason Nintendo is developing this new system is because quality game manufacturers probably wont make games for a system that’s hardware is so woefully out of date. To put it in perspective The graphics card i have in my computer is 2 generations removed from the equal graphics processor of the ps3. and my card is 2 generations old itself. Nintendo has been sitting on its hands because it is in a conundrum, push past its amazingly well selling game system, or develop a new system that can compete with the graphics/sound/and processor speeds of the 7th gen systems. I admire them for choosing a riskier path, but why do so? Nintendo has been out of the competative market for a long time. What do they have to offer? Well XBox has a cheap machine with a HUGE selection of games and a HUGE online community. PS3 is a higher end version of an xbox with better hardware but a smaller (less secure) network. so what will wii2 bring to the table. OK hardware more intuned with 2012 specs 6 years ahead of the other 2. Will it be motion control? well we already have seen serious gamers are not fans of motion control. but the rumors say that it will be backwards compatible. 3D maybe, but do people actually like 3d gaming? Will 3rd party developers actyually make games that fit wii2’s hardware? some probably, but economically they will make games to ps3/360 specs and just port them to wii2. so the only people making games to wii2’s specs will be guess who? NINTENDO and guess what games NINTENDO will make?

Pat B April 26, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Joe, Why? Why? Why? Why?
Ok here we go again
“The real reason Nintendo is developing this new system is because quality game manufacturers probably wont make games for a system that’s hardware is so woefully out of date.”
Obviously, this was established earlier.

“Nintendo has been sitting on its hands because it is in a conundrum, push past its amazingly well selling game system, or develop a new system that can compete with the graphics/sound/and processor speeds of the 7th gen systems.”

I see no conundrum. Nintendo departed from the hardcore console market and tried something new with Wii. Yes, the hardware was much less powerful than the true next gen systems but it didn’t need to be high powered to do what the Wii does. It’s a casual system with casual games for casual gamers, that’s it. For Nintendo to remain a force in video games they needed a new system so why make a system equal to the current gen systems when they can go all out and make a next gen high powered console? So far, it looks like they’re going all out. It’s not going to be much of a competition when this system hits the market because it’s going to be flat out better than the PS3 and 360.

“so what will wii2 bring to the table.”
come on, you know the new Nintendo system is going to be more on the level if not better than the 360 and PS3. Also, there is talk that Nintendo is going to address their poor online gaming setup that the Wii uses and streamline it. If they get the online right and the system is as powerful as they say it’s going to be they can’t miss.

“Will it be motion control? well we already have seen serious gamers are not fans of motion control. but the rumors say that it will be backwards compatible. 3D maybe, but do people actually like 3d gaming?”

Yes, I think there will be motion controls but I don’t think it will be focused on motion controls. I think that because of the leaked details about the controller. If it were just another motion wand I would say “Yes, this is going to be Wii2.” but so far it appears to be a traditional controller with a layout conducive to more hardcore gaming.
I think the system will be 3D capable but fully 3D, it will be an option. 3D gaming doesn’t seem to catching on all that fast.

AND FINALLY
“Will 3rd party developers actually make games that fit wii2′s hardware? some probably, but economically they will make games to ps3/360 specs and just port them to wii2. so the only people making games to wii2′s specs will be guess who? NINTENDO and guess what games NINTENDO will make?”

Stop it Joe! Stop it! Why are fixated on this point? You can’t possibly believe such things. Yes, game developers will make games that fit the new systems hardware. They do it all the time with new PC hardware, why wouldn’t they take full advantage of what the new system has to offer? Ports?! Ports?! No No No No No No No No. Again, if the hardware truly delivers stunning games then I think there will be plenty of game developers making games that specifically take advantage of the new Nintendo hardware. I think you will more likely see Wii2 ports show up on the 360 and PS3. AND YES JOE THERE WILL BE MARIO AND ZELDA GAMES! You still haven’t answered my question about why you are singling out Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony are going to do the same thing with their new consoles so what does it matter? This is not a big deal and not something you could consider a rip on the system. I just want to clear something up, you don’t seriously think that there will be ONLY Nintendo exclusive franchise games on the new system? You do realize that there be 3rd party support because the developer community wants something more high powered to develop games for. Are you just messing with me? You can’t be serious about all this because I think a lot of this is pretty obvious stuff. If you’re messing with me then Ha Ha …you got me. If this is not a joke, what the hell? You can’t possibly be this far off on this subject, you just can’t. Also, I’m on a hot streak with easy Captcha’s, it’s awesome.

Joe April 27, 2011 at 7:41 am

we’ll finish this on the podcast

Pat B April 27, 2011 at 10:26 am

This disagreement has been a presentation of Planet Arbitrary. For more, check out http://www.planetarbitrary.com – podcasts, reviews, news, and everything arbitrary. Damn! the streak is over, fucking ridiculous captcha!

zeno May 19, 2011 at 9:23 pm

huey lewis sang about wanting a new drug well i want a new console. the ps3 and xbox are outdated and the wii for me never was .
the specs need to be something like 2 gig video,8 gig ram,and a cpu powerfull enough. a comptent web browser and latest multimedia functions and a major reduction of problems with the ps3 and xbox. most of all a strict requirement for game makers to fully test their games before going to market . game makers dont make money if a console maker drops them.
just get a pc? well just make a good enough game console with a good browser for $600 and i will buy it .